LASIK surgery: Achieve clear vision and freedom from glasses or contacts. LASIK (Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis) has gained immense popularity as an effective vision correction technique for individuals with refractive errors. It is important to understand that not all LASIK procedures are the same. There are variations among different types of LASIK, and this blog aims to shed light on these differences.
What is Lasik Surgery?
LASIK Surgery is a refractive procedure that corrects vision issues such as near-sightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hyperopia), and astigmatism. LASIK surgery enhances visual clarity by reshaping the cornea, the transparent front part of the eye. The process involves using a laser to create a thin flap in the cornea, which is then lifted to reshape the underlying cornea using the laser. While LASIK surgery has gained popularity, there remains a lack of clear understanding and numerous doubts about the procedure among many individuals; here, check with the best Lasik treatment provider in the city. They will help you in knowing the fact about Lasik. In the article, we dive into the kinds of Lasik available and how they will benefit an individual.
Femto LASIK Surgery
Femto LASIK is a bladeless LASIK procedure that utilizes advanced femtosecond laser technology to create an ultra-thin corneal flap. Unlike traditional LASIK, which involves a small cut, Femto LASIK uses a microkeratome and precise laser pulses to create the flap.
Femto LASIK Procedure
- Creation of the corneal flap: The femtosecond laser emits rapid pulses of laser energy to create a precise flap over the corneal layer, allowing the ophthalmologist to reshape the corneal tissue.
- Corneal reshaping: After the flap is created, an excimer laser is used to reshape the cornea based on the individual's vision requirements. The excimer laser can remove a predetermined amount of corneal tissue to correct refractive errors like myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism.
- Flap repositioning: Once the corneal reshaping is completed, the flap is carefully repositioned. The cornea's natural adhesion securely holds the flap without the need for sutures.
Benefits of Femto LASIK
- Enhanced precision: The advanced femtosecond laser technology ensures precise flap creation and improves surgical outcomes.
- Safety: Femto LASIK reduces the risk of complications due to its precise and controlled flap creation.
- Faster healing and recovery: The precise flap creation and smooth corneal bed promote faster healing, leading to quicker visual recovery and reduced discomfort post-surgery.
- Customized flap creation: The surgeon can customize the size, shape, and thickness of the corneal flap based on individual eye characteristics, potentially improving visual outcomes and reducing complications.
Contoura LASIK Surgery
Topography-guided LASIK surgery is an effective method for correcting corneal irregularities that cause vision issues. Unlike traditional LASIK, which focuses solely on correcting refractive errors, Contoura Vision surgery addresses and improves corneal irregularities. This advanced procedure offers sharper visual outcomes compared to standard LASIK.
The procedure of Contoura Vision Surgery
- Evaluation: The Contoura Lasik surgeon assesses your vision issues and reviews your eye-related medical history to determine your eligibility for the surgery.
- Local anaesthesia: Before the surgery, your ophthalmologist administers local anaesthesia to numb the area around your eye, ensuring a comfortable and uninterrupted procedure.
- Advanced mapping and correction: Using the state-of-the-art Contoura technology, a laser maps approximately 22,000 points on the cornea to identify and correct abnormalities. The weight EX500 excimer laser system achieves the desired visual results.
- Post-surgery care: Your ophthalmologist may prescribe anti-inflammatory and antibiotic medications to prevent inflammation and minimize the risk of infections.
Benefits of Contoura Vision Surgery
- Reduced dependence on spectacles and contact lenses, leading to greater visual freedom.
- Improved night driving experience for individuals with refractive errors.
- Decreased sensitivity to glare, enhancing visual comfort in bright environments.
- Enhanced accuracy of vision by addressing abnormalities in the visual axis.
- The procedure is bladeless, reducing the likelihood of complications.
- Minimal post-operative restrictions, allowing for a smoother recovery process.
Smile LASIK Surgery
SMILE (Small Incision Lenticule Extraction) is a minimally invasive procedure designed to reshape the cornea by removing a thin layer of corneal tissue called a lenticular and correcting refractive errors. When your refractive region has errors, it can cause blurred vision, making reading difficult and leading to eye strain and headaches. You may rely on contact lenses or glasses to see objects. However, the Smile Lasik treatment can help you achieve sharp vision by allowing proper light to focus on the retina. Smile LASIK treatment is a viable alternative to LASIK (Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis), providing effective vision correction.
The procedure of Smile LASIK
- Creation of a small incision: With the help of a femtosecond laser, a small lens-shaped disc called a lenticular is precisely created within the cornea. This lenticular carries the tissue that will be removed to correct your refractive errors.
- Extraction of the lenticule: By making a small incision, the Smile LASIK surgeon will remove the lenticule present over the cornea. This cornea is reshaped, refractive error will be corrected, and vision will be improvised.
- Corneal incision closure: The small incision created during the surgery is self-sealing, and the best part is it doesn't require stitches.
Benefits of Smile LASIK
- Minimally invasive with a small incision, potentially resulting in faster recovery.
- Minimize the risk of dry eye symptoms compared to LASIK.
- Enhance corneal stability, making it the best option for athletes and individuals with active lifestyles.
Regarding LASIK treatment, selecting the right option is crucial, and having some basic knowledge can be highly beneficial. This blog aims to provide the necessary information to make an informed decision. Additionally, it is essential to choose a reputable LASIK treatment provider. The Eye Foundation has a team of experienced ophthalmic surgeons who have successfully performed over 200,000 LASIK surgeries. Book an appointment with us, consult our top LASIK surgeons, and make a well-informed decision for your vision correction needs.