Intracorneal ring segments (ICRS) are small, transparent implants that are surgically placed within the cornea, the clear front surface of the eye. Made of biocompatible material, ICRS are designed to reshape the cornea and improve vision in individuals with keratoconus, a progressive eye condition that causes the cornea to thin and bulge.
How do ICRS work?
ICRS works by mechanically flattening the cornea, reducing its curvature and improving overall visual clarity. The segments are inserted through a small incision in the cornea and are carefully placed within the clear outer layer of tissue. Once implanted, ICRS remains in place indefinitely, providing sustained vision improvement for keratoconus patients.
Who benefits from ICRS?
ICRS are considered an effective treatment option for individuals with moderate to severe keratoconus who are not suitable for corneal crosslinking or refractive surgery. If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, you may be a candidate for ICRS:
- Blurry or distorted vision
- Increased sensitivity to light (photophobia)
- Difficulty with night vision
- Glare and halos around lights
- Eye discomfort or irritation
What are the benefits of ICRS?
ICRS offer several advantages over other treatment options for keratoconus:
- Vision improvement: ICRS can significantly improve vision, reducing or eliminating the need for corrective lenses.
- Enhanced comfort: ICRS can alleviate symptoms such as glare, halos, and blurry vision, improving overall eye comfort.
- Minimally invasive procedure: ICRS are implanted using a minimally invasive surgical technique, resulting in a faster recovery time and reduced discomfort.
- Safe and effective: ICRS have a proven track record of safety and efficacy, with a high success rate in improving vision and reducing keratoconus progression.
The Eye Foundation: Your Trusted Partner in ICRS
At The Eye Foundation, our experienced eye surgeons are experts in ICRS implantation and keratoconus management. We provide comprehensive care, from pre-operative evaluation to post-operative follow-up, ensuring you receive the best possible treatment and support.
Schedule a Consultation Today
If you are considering ICRS, schedule a consultation with our expert eye surgeons to discuss your candidacy and determine if ICRS are the right treatment option for you. We are committed to providing you with the highest quality care and helping you achieve clear vision and a renewed sense of confidence.